Flowers In Time
September 15, 2019, 10:52:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Flowers In Time Forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Grace Book  (Read 8166 times)
Joe Haynes
The Wizard
Global Moderator
I Am The Music

« on: September 17, 2007, 10:55:20 AM »

Hey

i recently purchased the small 33 and 3rd Grace Book. I have read others and they often give a good detailed write up of sessions and stuff regarding the recordings but i found this book not the same. Its full of how much the author loves Jeffs Music . It then goes on to analyze ever song and tell us stuff we already have heard many many times. So if you interested in the making of the album then dont buy this book. If you have no idea about jeffs music then buy it. Otherwise its pointless

just my opinion Smiley

www.mycineme.co.uk  - independent films!
mrstrongarm
Administrator
I Am The Music

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:27:42 PM »

I know everyone says this, but i think Dream Brother by David Browne is probably the best source of information on jeff yet... anything else probably isnt going to stand up so well...
belikewhat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 01:49:37 PM »

there is a book being written at the mo by a guy i know, and he seems quite informed, so that might be good, but that will probably be a while lol
mrstrongarm
Administrator
I Am The Music

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 03:21:30 PM »

who's this new guy? David i believe had personal contact with Jeff from the beginning of his time in NY, and had been following him ever since...
belikewhat
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »

his name is Jeff Apter. i dont believe Jeff had any contact with Jeff (!) but he has contacted some cool peeps lol. something to look out for haha
mrstrongarm
Administrator
I Am The Music

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 09:24:47 PM »

i hope its impartial and has abit less 'guidance' from the powers that be...  could be good.
skyblueskin
I Am The Music

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »

I remember reading this article a while ago

http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/a-fall-from-grace/2007/05/31/1180205420831.html?page=fullpage

Isn't the title a reference to a quote by Bono?  Something about him saying Jeff was "a pure drop in an ocean of noise", or words to that effect.
mrstrongarm
Administrator
I Am The Music

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 12:42:18 AM »

yeah, i recall that quote as being a bono thing too..
belikewhat
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 11:21:42 AM »

yeh Bono did say that

and Jeff Apter should do a good account of things. He seems to be doing his research so all being well...
Jaysbee
Administrator
I Am The Music

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 07:50:57 AM »

Yeah, Bono like so many other BIG names was blown away by Jeff.........

There are at least 2 U2 performances in East Rutherford NJ from June '97 where they dedicate 'Staring At The Sun' to Jeff during the show Sad

Jaysbee
Administrator
I Am The Music

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 08:42:14 AM »

there is a book being written at the mo by a guy i know, and he seems quite informed, so that might be good, but that will probably be a while lol

Hope you haven't told him too much about what you get up to given his contacts Wink
belikewhat
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 09:58:58 AM »

nah he is sound as a pound, i think he hates someone as much as i do lol (cough cough)
Gorizz

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »

I've just finished reading "A Pure Drop" by Jeff Apter and I would strongly recommend it to any Jeff Buckley fan.
It reads a lot more smoothly than David Browne's "Dream Brother", although that one still holds as a must have.
It also seems that David Browne did a lot of explorative research on which Jeff Apter could work further.
There's some new people in the book too, telling their stories. Like Frames frontman Glen Hansard.
Above all, Jeff Apter has done a tremendous effort in research.
Grtz.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: