Flowers In Time
July 04, 2020, 05:06:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Flowers In Time Forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: May 1996 - The Johnny Riggs Radio Show  (Read 4296 times)
Jaysbee
Administrator
I Am The Music

« on: July 19, 2008, 04:28:46 PM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyriggsisdead/2598794861/

For those of you that don't have a flikr account >>>>

Hi, Johnny Riggs here. It was May of 1996. I was doing my radio show live, and the band Mind Science Of The Mind stopped by to do an interview on another program, Dave's Garage.
Jeff wasn't big on that sort of thing, and since we'd met a few times before, he decided to hang out with me, Johnny, instead of joining the interview with Dave & the band. I played songs, introduced them, and tried to get him to speak the whole time by saying things like "It's the Johnny Riggs show, and well, if Jeff Buckley were here in the studio with me, he might sound like this", to which he'd just stand beside me and stare blankly, being funny. Every time I went on I tried to get him to talk, and he'd just shake his head no.
It was "The Johnny Riggs Show" with sound effects by Jeff.
During one break, he made beatbox sounds the whole time I spoke, but he never said a word on the air that day. I wish you could picture the studio. It was really cramped in the area by the microphone, so he had to squeeze in beside me to do his beatboxing into the mic.
A couple of girls who worked with me tried to find excuses to squeeze into the studio with us.
It was too bad he didn't feel like going on the air, because off the air we talked more in-depth that day than we ever had before, about life, music, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, clothes, bullshit. I'd seen him live, spent time with him while he recorded in the studio, interviewed him in England, but we never talked as much as we did on this day.
He'd just gotten his hair cut really short. I told him to look at me like he wanted to kill me. Above is the look he gave me.
When the Polaroid developed, I said he looked like Henry Rollins and we laughed really hard.
I didn't know it was going to be the last time I ever saw him.

I'm saving the rest of the stories and photographs for MOJO Magazine. When is the Jeff Buckley edition?
And by the way, we both liked Henry Rollins.
That's right Henry, Jeffy & Johnny loved you.

In the future, I'll tell you the story of the magical cleaning solution bottle that split cleanly in half and astounded us both.
I'll name names of the women whose loins were so hot that they couldn't stay away.
I will tell you who complimented whose pants.
Oh fine, you don't want that much detail.
But the cleaning solution bottle story is vaguely funny.
belikewhat
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 11:10:51 AM »

that was a good find and read. me enjoyed mucho
Buda
I Am The Music

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:06:13 PM »

Thanks Jay for this find! I never heard about this but loved every bit of it. Now we just got a hold of this radio show. I'd love to hear his bullshitting beatbox thing :-D

Oh shit.. he's gone..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: