Flowers In Time
October 18, 2019, 05:10:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Flowers In Time Forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Five Concert Performances  (Read 4781 times)
Jaysbee
Administrator
I Am The Music

« on: August 20, 2007, 07:15:34 PM »

What are your Top 5 Concert Performances??

Over the years there have been many great performances that i have had the pleasure of witnessing & the task of picking a top 5 was difficult, but for today anyway,

MY TOP FIVE
01. Aug 31st 1994 - JEFF BUCKLEY (Edwards #8, Birmingham, England)
(went on the strength of a 'Grace' review in the N.M.E. which is a hit & miss method, the outcome usually as equally dissapointing as rewarding but man, were they right. From the opening of 'Mojo Pin' to the closing marathon rendition of 'Kanga-roo' - I was, like never before -  TOTALLY IN AWE!!)

02. Mar 2nd 1995 - JEFF BUCKLEY  (Wulfrun Hall, Wolverhampton, England)
(support was from 'Drugstore')

03. Nov 23rd 2004 - TOM WAITS (Carling Apollo, Hammersmith, London)
(only waited 17 years to see Tom but he didn't dissapoint)

04. June 22nd 1985 - U2 (National Bowl, Milton Keynes)
(billed as 'The Longest Day' featuring support from REM, The Ramones, Billy Bragg, Spear Of Destiny & The Faith Brothers)

05. Oct 14th 1992 - SUEDE + The Auteurs (Edwards #8, Birmingham)
(a lot of hype surrounded the birth of Suede & by the time this gig came round at the small 300(appx) capacity 'Edwards #8', they had already announced dates at considerably larger venues - Hot Sweaty & Electric!!)

Joe Haynes
The Wizard
Global Moderator
I Am The Music

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:04:40 PM »

Umm this is hard. i would have to say

Franz Ferdinand at reading 2006
really loved that show they were brilliant and really made the concert a fun experience. I shook alexs hand!

Oasis live at Milton Keynes 2005
My fist massive concert and i was just blown away. i was right at the front aswell. Great gig!

Human League - Oxford 2006
I had seen them twice before but this was the best i had seen them. For an 80s band they still know how to rock

Tears for Fears - Cardiff 2005
pretty much same as the above entry

Muse reading 2006
such a great stage act, but i kept thinking was it just the stage props that made the show so good. Still and excellent gig tho

i have seen many other bands as well which were good. Babyshambles were brilliant. Tom Vek is excellent. I also saw travis in a very close up personal gig which was nice.

shame i never got to see buckley

www.mycineme.co.uk  - independent films!
Jaysbee
Administrator
I Am The Music

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:34:53 PM »

Hey Joe,
       Saw Babyshambles only last night at the V Festival, Weston Park, Stafford (because my wife has a Doherty fetish-thing going on) about 3 hours before his latest run in with the 'Boys In Blue'   Grin  Although not much of a fan myself the show was hyper!!

Also caught Sinead 'O'Connor, Editors & the Happy Mondays yesterday while Saturday belonged to 'Iggy & The Stooges' - Like him or loathe him, the guy's a Legend..........
belikewhat
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »

interesting topic...

five best shows...

thats a tricky one! i cant really think of the five BESSTTTT ones but seeing

mars volta,

black rebel motorcycle club,

janes addiction,

queens of the stone age,

and a small indie band called 'the open'

were quite memorable!

i hate pete doherty, i hope that waste of space gets locked up for his latest effort with the police! im not on heroin but im on another 10 substances! what a joke! lol!

i would have loooooveeed to have seen suede and off course Jeffy.

hope V festival wasn't a mud bath! and the iggy is a legend!

Joe Haynes
The Wizard
Global Moderator
I Am The Music

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:59:39 AM »

wow i have seen the Open Twice. There amazing

www.mycineme.co.uk  - independent films!
skyblueskin
I Am The Music

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 10:01:03 PM »

My 5 are...

1. Jeff Buckley - 1 March 1995, Manchester University (Excuse the puns, but it was the best concert I'd ever been too and you really could hear that pin drop during Hallelujah. He wasn't too happy with the N.M.E. that day either. Grin)

2. U2 - June 2005, Manchester Stadium (I'd seen them many times before, but I'd never been upfront, I was at both night of their Manchester shows and I was in the "Bomb Shelter" for one of them, and just outside it for another.  It was a completely different U2 concert experience.)

3. REM - 3 & 4 July 2007, Dublin Olympia Theatre.  (Again, I've seen REM many times, but never in a small venue and not one single "hit" was played, which was disappointing for the casual fan, but a dream setlist for a long time fan like myself. )

4. Depeche Mode - July 1993, London, Crystal Palace Sports Ground.  (I'd been a fan since I was a kid and this was my first DM concert.)

5. Martha Wainwright - November 2005, Liverpool Academy. (Whenever I've seen her, there's always been slapstick banter inbetween songs,  but Martha's humour, mixed with the Scouse audience made for a full on performance.)   
mrstrongarm
Administrator
I Am The Music

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »

just watched some Daft Punk in LA 2007 on youtube, and it looks to have been an amazing show... i know its not most peoples taste, but i REALLY regret not having seen them this tour!

(excuse the apauling quality, but you'll get the idea Smiley
intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZq5UIgImo
encore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxaEbp2ZkU
belikewhat
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »

yeh the d.punk put on a good show, done some good tunes  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: